01 September 2010

Double Indemnity (1944)


Trailer

Same chair, same perfume, same anklet?
So basically: Experienced and suave insurance salesmen Walter Neff checks in on the Dietrichson account to renew car insurance, but when Mr Dietrichson isn't in, Mrs Dietrichson, a young and seductive women, insists on him staying. She asks about life insurance for her husband, but without him knowing. Getting wise, Neff realizes Mrs Dietrichson is plotting to kill her husband and reap the rewards. At first, Neff refuses to help her, but when her charms lure him in, they set up the perfect plan.

I never got to see the last half an hour of this film the first time I saw it - it was very difficult to get my hands on it in the first place - which sucked. I was instantly hooked by Barbara Stanwyck! It was a brilliant casting choice! I don't think anyone could play the role of Phyllis Dietrichson nor do I want to imagine it. She really makes this picture exceptional. If it weren't for her and her role, the film would just fall into the realm of average.

As I said, this movie - the plot and side characters, even Walter Neff - is kind of average, but Barbara Stanwyck as Phyllis Dietrichson makes this movie worthy of being on the list, although I don't think it should be this high given that fact.

Ziggi seal of approval!

No comments:

Post a Comment