07 February 2011

Mary and Max (2009)


Trailer

Not much has happened since I last wrote except for my manslaughter charges, lotto win, and Ivy's death.
So basically: One day, while 8 year old Mary is sitting in the post office, she flips through an American address book wondering all sorts of questions about the foreign country. She picks out a name, Max Horovitz, and sends him a letter. Max, an overweight New Yorker in his 40s with Aspergers Syndrome, recieves the letter and promtly has an anxiety attack, but sends his correspondance anyway. A 20 year friendship sprouts between the unlikely pair.

I was looking forward to this film, because I had never heard of it before, but once it started I had my doubts. It seemed like they were trying too hard to be quirky. Once Max was introduced, however, I changed my mind! It's different. Which is why I like it. But, it's isn't so different that you can't connect with it. The two characters are interesting and really bring you into their lives - the narrator was a tad annoying at first, but you get used to it and I couldn't imaging the story being as good without it. And the ending was really well done, sad, but well done.

This film deserves to be on the list. I'm kind of sad and kind of glad that it isn't that big of a film, but you should watch it and spread the word to all the cool kids.

Ziggi seal of approval!

2 comments: