05 February 2011

Kaze no Tani no Naushika (1984)


Trailer

She's alive. There goes that dream.
So basically: A thousand years after a devasting war that left the Earth in ruins, Princess Naushika, princess of the Valley of the Wind, tries to understand and protect the Sea of Decay. When another Kingdom, the Tolmekians, use a great warrior to try and destroy the Sea of Decay, Naushika must band together with the Ohmus, giant insect creatures who protect the toxic wasteland, to save the Earth.

I love Studio Ghibli, but this was the first time I saw this film. I'm a bit tired of people shoving the environment is awesome agenda down my throat, but this one does it so it doesn't seem like it's the only purpose of it (coughavatarcough). It's an engaging story with interesting characters. It was a bit confusing at first to follow the politics of the different kingdoms, but it all works itself out in the end.

Yes, I think this film should be on the list. I also think some Ghibli films that are not on the list should be. Go watch those, too!

Ziggi seal of approval!

No comments:

Post a Comment