12 February 2011

Persona (1966)


Trailer

No! I'm not like you. I don't feel like you. I'm Sister Alma, I'm just here to help you. I'm not Elisabet Vogler. You are Elisabet Vogler. 
So basically: An actress is sent to hospital after loosing the ability, or rather will, to speak. A young nurse is charged with her care, but there is nothing mentally nor physically wrong with her. The doctor in charge sends the two to her cottage where their personas meld into each other.

I’ve only seen this film once – unlike all of the other Ingmar Bergman films – and I don’t understand it, yet. I definitely want to watch it again, to try and understand it. Bergman’s films are like those, and this one is the most pretentious, artsy film of his that I’ve seen. And I don’t like those kinds of films, but his are just so beautifully shot you want to understand them.

Yes, I think this deserves to be on the list. I think everyone interested in film should see at least one Bergman film, too.

Ziggi seal of approval!

No comments:

Post a Comment