11 December 2010

Apocalypse Now (1979)


Trailer

I love the smell of napalm in the morning.
So basically: Captain Benjamin Willard is known for doing off the record missions during the Vietnam conflict. His next mission takes him up the Nung river on a Navy Patrol Boat into Cambodia. He was given classified files on Colonel Walter E. Kurtz, who he must assassinate at the end of his journey.

HOMG MORPHEUS IS IN THIS MOVIE!!!!! Ok, done, now onto actual review. Vietnam is one of those settings that most directors/writers/producers/what-have-you love to use for films about human nature. (Basically look at every Vietnam conflict movie on this list and you’ll know what I mean). This story wasn’t even set in Vietnam when it originally came out, instead being set in the heart of Africa (good book, please check it out, especially if you like this film, and even if you didn’t). But, the story translates so well into Vietnam it’s really no question of why the filmmakers adapted it to this settings, especially given the time. So no, this film is not about Vietnam, it’s not a pro-war or an anti-war film, it’s about human nature. Yeah, I think that is what makes the movies about Vietnam so fascinating and why a lot of them have ended up on this list. And I know I’ve said I hate voice-overs, but it does work in this film (and yes, I know I keep referring to the book, but the voice-over is very familiar from it) and adds to the atmosphere.

Defs deserves to be on the list.

Ziggi seal of approval!

No comments:

Post a Comment