01 December 2010

Vertigo (1958)


Trailer

Only one is a wanderer; two together are always going somewhere. 
So basically: An acrophobic police detective, John “Scottie” Ferguson, quits his job after a terrible accident. An old college friend begs him out of retirement to tail his wife, suspecting her to be the victim of possession. Reluctantly, Scottie agrees, and begins to follow Madeleine. When he jumps into the San Francisco Bay to save her, they become friends and, eventually, lovers. Madeleine is clearly troubled, but she won’t tell Scottie what it is.

I don’t understand. I’m sorry. I was hoping rewatching this would help me to better understand why this is considered a classic, one of Hitchcock’s best. But, I honestly don’t get it. I know I’m not the biggest fan of Hitchcock – and you all know it – but I can appreciate most of his movies. This one just didn’t flow with me. I didn’t care at all about Madeleine or why there was a girl running around who looked like her, or about the possession or whatever – I didn’t like that part of the plot, either. The one praiseworthy thing is Jimmy Stewart, not only is he awesome [duh!], but his character. Sure, it’s like “dude, you’re kind of an asshole to Judy,” but at the same time, he’s a refreshing lead character.

Sorry, but this doesn’t deserve to be on the list.

Ziggi seal of disapproval!

No comments:

Post a Comment