28 December 2010

The Usual Suspect (1995)


Trailer

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
So basically: After a cocaine deal goes terribly wrong, the police question the only two survivors: a Hungarian man in hospital, who keeps repeating the name of legendary criminal mastermind, Keyser Soze, and Verbal Kint, a smalltime criminal. Verbal is held for questioning by Kajun in the police department. Verbal recounts the events leading up to the accident, from six weeks ago when he and four other “usual suspects” were brought in on a heist charge.

I think this is the film which made me fall in love with Kevin Spacey. But I totally saw the twist coming. According to IMDb, this was the best user voted twist (beating out The Sixth Sense, The Crying Game, and Witness for the Prosecution). I don’t see it. I’m sorry. I even knew the twist for The Sixth Sense and I freaked out – I had, obvi, forgotten it while watching. And I also never get twists. I hate figuring out the movie before the director wants me to; ruins the fun. And that scene near the end, when Kajun was yelling at Verbal who Soze was would have been so intense, if I didn’t know!

Despite all this, however, the characters and plot hold up enough that it makes an awesome movie, defs deserving of the list.

Ziggi seal of approval!

1 comment:

  1. as i understand, the reason the police ask only for 2 people is because it's only them who still alive in that accident..

    ReplyDelete