19 December 2010

It's a Wonderful Life (1946)


Trailer

I owe everything to George Bailey. Help him, dear Father.
So basically: The town of Bedford Falls is all but belonging to one Mr Potter, a selfish money mongering type. The only thing standing in his way is George Bailey, who runs a small building and loan company. When Bailey’s uncle looses $8,000, it is picked up by Mr Potter. This sets up a series of unfortunate events, landing Bailey in jail and paving the way for Mr Potter to take over the town. Thinking his family would be better off without him, George contemplates suicide, but an angel appears to try and convince him that he shouldn’t do it.

People are going to be so mad at me when I say this movie doesn’t deserve to be on the list!! It’s a classic Christmas film, it’s Frank Capra, and it has Jimmy Stewart being awesome. You would think I would like this film, right? I found the whole thing rather boring, and I guess I don’t get all nostalgic like most people who grew up with this movie – I just saw it a few years ago for the first time. I dunno, the pace is slow and there are some charming moments, but the film on a whole falls flat.

If you’re a fan of heart-warming Christmas films, or Jimmy Stewart, watch this. If not, you probably won’t like it. But, I do believe every film lover/people interested in the world of film should see this, if only on principle since it’s so well known. But, regretfully, I don’t believe this should be on the list.

Ziggi seal of disapproval!

No comments:

Post a Comment