16 December 2010

Dr Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)


Trailer

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

So basically: During the Cold War, Brigadier General Jack D Ripper has a theory in his head about “natural fluids”. To him, the Russians have poisoned the American water supply. To counteract this “attack”, Ripper has deployed a series of bombers into Russian territories to drop Nuclear Bombs. He is also the only one who knows the codes to recall the attack and has shut off all communications. The government gets ahold of this information and are on a frantic campaign to stop it, before the Doomsday Machine is set off, even so far as to alert the head of the Russian government, Demetri.

I saw this movie twice before this, and I still remember the first time I saw it – I don’t even remember if I watched it because it was the only thing on or because it was on telly and on the list, so yey! – and I instantly fell in love. I wasn’t even a Kubrick fan at the time, so yey bonus! I have to admit that I wasn’t paying the fullest attention at this viewing and did not pick up on all the funny, but I still enjoyed the hour and a half I spent with this film on. It’s really hilarious! And awesome!

Defs deserves to be on the list! I wouldn’t say the best Kubrick film – I’m biased to Full Metal Jacket and A Clockwork Orange – but defs one of the better ones.

Ziggi seal of approval!

1 comment:

  1. Its like you read my mind! You appear to know so much about this, like
    you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you could
    do with some pics to drive the message home a bit, but instead of that, this
    is fantastic blog. A fantastic read. I will definitely be back.


    My webpage; blog.the4thlaw.org

    ReplyDelete