03 August 2010

Witness for the Prosecution (1957)


Trailer

I am constantly surprised that women's hats do not provoke more murders.

So basically: Sir Wilfred Robarts has just gotten out of hospital after a heart attack and has been ordered by his physician not to take on any murder cases. When one of his colleagues walks into his office with a client, Robarts seems interested, but not interested enough to risk his health - at least, not until the suspect's wife walks in and adds something intriguing to the case. Robarts agrees to try the case, but not use the wife as a witness. The wife has other plans when she goes into the witness stand... for the prosecution.

I said earlier in the Anatomy of a Murder review that I'm not fond of courtroom dramas. It's the characters that make those sorts of movies interesting for me and there was only one interesting character in this movie, Christine Vole - played stunningly by Marlene Dietrich, as always. Other than her performance, the story didn't interest me that much. However, I think the movie is worth watching just for the ending alone, which is really amazing.

Even tho I don't like this film personally, I do think it should be on the list.

Ziggi seal of approval!

1 comment:

  1. Come on, all the characters were interesting in this movie. The acting was great, the script and dialogue was sharp, and the story was amazing. This is an exciting, suspenseful classic. It’s one of the best movies I ever seen, watch it again.

    ReplyDelete