25 July 2010

8½ (1963)


Trailer

It's pompous and stupid, like the director.
So basically: Guido Anselmi is a famous director who just finished a big picture. Now, people are pressuring him to come up with a new idea, but he has writer's block. To add to his stress, everyone is asking to be in or work in his next picture. For inspiration, he slips in and out of fantasy and memory.

I want to like this film, just because it's one of those movies every hardcore film buff is required to love or you get kicked out of the club. I'll never be in the club. I don't like this movie. At least I can watch it, tho. The first time I absolutely hated it. It was one of the most painful experiences of my life - it was the first Fellini movie I saw. The second time, however - with an appreciation of film - I was able to watch it with a better eye. I still don't like it, tho. I thought is was slow and boring and I didn't care for Guido at all, but as I said, I don't like these kinds of films anyway. I don't think it's pretentious either, which I thought on first viewing. I could go on a rant about Woody Allen again (I did in my head watching this picture) but I won't. I'll just say: I'd rather watch this than any crap Woody Allen spews out - srs, he thinks throwing in Fellini and Bergman's names and talking about pretentious, know-it-all things will make his movies brilliant and intellectual! At least Fellini's movies don't come off that way, that he was trying to be this great cinematic genius (which he no doubt is), he was just making movies (which I hope is tru, because if he actually was pompous and douchey then I would hate this movie).

I honestly can't say I think this movie deserves to be on the list. Some people might regard it as cinematic genius, but I just can't see it.

Ziggi seal of disapproval!

No comments:

Post a Comment