05 July 2010

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008)


Trailer

Did I ever tell you I was struck by lightning seven times?
So basically: Benjamin Button is born the day the Great War ended. His mother used her last breath to make his father promise that there would be a place for Benjamin in the world. However, once his father looks upon his deformed body, he runs away with him, planning on throwing him into the river. Without the heart to do so, he leaves Benjamin on the steps of an old folks' home, where he is picked up by one of the employees, Queenie, and adopted by her. Benjamin has a curious condition which makes him grow younger, instead of older, and he goes all over the world from his home of New Orleans to Russia. The entire time, his love for a girl named Daisy, who he met when he was an old man, never dwindles.

I actually went to see this in theatres last year. And I cried. I cried again this time. Brad Pitt is very believable as a man who ages backwards, making us sympathize with his character. Caroline was my favourite character, tho, even if she doesn't have much screen-time. The only problem I had with it was the length. I'm not sure how the director/editor could have cut it down, as each scene fit into the story well, but it did seem to be a tad long and I started feeling my attention dwindle. However, it never disappeared entirely.

This totes deserves the "prestige" of the list. It's emotional and a great story as we follow Benjamin throughout half of the 20th century. It's a tad long, but the ending is worth some of the slower moments.

Ziggi seal of approval!

2 comments:

  1. This was an alright film, but not good enough to be on the list of the best movies of all time. It’s too long, too schmaltzy, and ultimately too flawed. And as for David Fincher movies, The Social Network, Zodiac, Seven, Fight Club, and Gone Girl are way more deserving. So yeah, definitely not a top 250 worthy film, no, not in the slightest .

    ReplyDelete