11 July 2010

Mystic River (2003)


Trailer

We bury our sins here, Dave. We wash them clean.
So basically: Three childhood friends are drawn to eachother in adulthood after the daughter of one of them is murdered. Jimmy is a loving father with a criminal past, who is blinded by anger over his daughter's death. Sean is the cop investigating the murder, whose wife had just left him. And finally, there's Dave, who was kidnapped and raped as a child and now is an easy scapegoat in the murder, especially since he has blood on his hands from the same night.

Firstly, I'd like to say that I think Clint Eastwood is overrated - I know I should have said this on the first Clint Eastwood movie of the list (Changeling, I believe, unless more of them are on the list that I didn't notice), but I just thought of mentioning it now. However, that doesn't mean this is a bad movie. This is actually an awesome movie. The main plot in itself isn't all that fantastic, just another crime movie, but the characters bring something to the story that no other crime movie has. All three of the main characters' lives intertwine so beautifully. The fact that I couldn't guess the ending and was left wondering - until the very end - if Dave is innocent, and if he is, who the heck murdered Katie, is also another reason why this movie is so good.

This movie deserves all the "prestige" of the list.

Ziggi seal of approval!

No comments:

Post a Comment