30 July 2010

The Graduate (1967)


Trailer

Oh no, Mrs Robinson. I think, I think you're the most attractive of all my parents' friends.
So basically: Benjamin Braddock has just graduated from undergraduate studies and moved back in with his parents. Everyone, including his parents, are pressuring him to go to graduate school and make something of himself, but he is content with staying where he is. When his parents throw a party on his behalf, a family friend, Mrs Robinson, asks him to drive her home with the intentions of seducing him. Awkward and a bit afraid, Benjamin accepts the proposal and they spend many night at a nearby hotel together. However, things get complicated when Benjamin takes out Mrs Robinson's daughter, Elaine, against Mrs Robinson's wishes, and falls in love with her.

This is another one of my favourite movies evs. I can't explain why I love this movie so much, but I do. From the beginning, the film sucks the audience into this world, this bleak world where the main character is awkward and slightly monotonous. It seems like it would be a boring movie - it's anything but! Mrs Robinson is one of the most well written characters in cinematic history, with her playfully seductive speech and the way she handles Benjamin. Ben is also one of my favourite characters ever, which is odd 'cause he's not a very likable person. Also, the music by Simon and Garfunkel perfectly compliments the world of The Graduate.

Defs deserves to be on the list, probably higher.

Ziggi seal of approval!

1 comment: