08 July 2010

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003)


Trailer

...And then they made me their chief.
So basically: The Black Pearl is the last real pirate ship in the Caribbean. It has black sails, is crewed by the damned, and captained by a man so evil that Hell itself spat him back out. Captain Jack Sparrow was the former Captain of the Black Pearl, but was marooned on a deserted Island, and is now in a Port Royal jail. When Will Turner's beloved Elizabeth Swan gets kidnapped by the crew of the Black Pearl, he has no choice but to spring Jack out of jail and go after them. Together, they must round up a crew in Tortuga as crazy as Jack to save Elizabeth.

Hilarious movie. It brings you into the world of the colonial Caribbean but also adds elements of horror and fantasy which are well integrated into the plot. Johnny Depp as Captain Jack is brilliant and he and Orlando Bloom's Will Turner play off each other awesomely. My only problem is with Kiera Knightly, but that's just my own personal vendetta. Elizabeth Swan was a pretty awesome character, tho, so that's good. Will Turner should have been a girl. Would have been so much better, btdubs.

Yeah, obvi. It's effing PIRATES! Awesome way to spend two hours. The first time you see this, it blows your mind with coolness. So it should be on the list!

Ziggi seal of approval!

6 comments:

  1. This is one of my all time favourite movies. It's a complete adventure from start to finish. Captain Jack Sparrow always has me in fits of laughter, such a great character. Also love all of the incredible sets and special effects they used throughout the movie. Definitely agree with your seal of approval!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same! It's just full of everything an adventure story needs [I don't like Orlando Bloon OR Kiera Knightly, but Johnny Depp more than makes up for it!]

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of those movies I am always stoked to watch - But I am a pirate so it is to be expected.

    Amazing movie, I know they planned the series and all the series was good I'd watch them continuously for the rest of my days but really? The Black Pearl is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just watched it for the 5th time. Great adventure, fun, adventerous, crazy. Jonny is outright fun: Half the tme he looks, like he's drunk, half the way he looks like he hasn't the slighest idea, what he is doing, and the other half he' tries frantically to get out of the mess. Yes, I know, thats one half to much.


    Oh besides: great camera works

    ReplyDelete
  5. A good movie, but one of the best films of all time? I don’t think so, it’s just a fun movie. Yet you give a lot of other great classics a thumbs down, your reviews are awful.

    ReplyDelete