04 July 2010

Toy Story 2 (1999)


Trailer

Buzz never delivered that kiss!

So basically: Woody gets ripped right before Andy goes to Cowboy Camp and has to be left behind on a self. There he finds Wheezy, a penguin squeaky toy that had been shelved a couple of weeks ago. As Woody is worrying about whether or not he's going to be shelved forever, Andy's mom has a yard sale and takes Wheezy from Andy's self! In a desperate attempt to save Wheezy, Woody and Buster - Andy's dog - run out to the yard sale, but on the way back Woody falls off of Buster. Outside and alone, Woody gets spotted by an evil toy collector. When Andy's mom refuses to sell Woody, the toy collector steals him! It's now up to Buzz and the rest of the gang to go to Al's Toy Barn and rescue Woody.

Oh noes! The curse of the sequel! It doesn't hit this movie as hard as some, but it still isn't the greatest. The story is alright as it deals with issues all toys must face - their kid growing up. But the introduction of the new characters and Woody's easy acceptance of them and his move to Japan isn't in character. Woody should fight for Andy, not leave him, even with the knowledge that Andy might one day forget about him. My favs part is when they're crossing the street! what chaos from a few toys. Why didn't they just wait for night time? All around, it's just an alright movie. The many references to Star Wars were nice, tho.

As far as Disney-Pixar movies go, this isn't a good film. And it certainly doesn't deserve to be on IMDb's top 250 movies! I really don't kno how it got there.

Ziggi seal of disapproval!

7 comments:

  1. Uh-oh, sequel curse. I have to agree with you there. Not horrible but could be better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phew, I so thought you were gunna hate me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd argue that Woody learns to accept and fight for Andy despite his potential to forget about him from this movie, I mean in the first one he's been the favourite for so long he hates Buzz because he fears Andy losing interest in him. That film shows him he can share the spotlight, this film shows him he has to be able to stay with Andy despite the sad fact he has to grow up. Not a great sequel, but a good one.

    These movies are probably the reason I still have so many freaking toys...

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the end, yes that is what is gained, but from the first film I got the impression that Woody would already have that in him.
    Yeah, it's the total plot of the film, but they could have had a better plot :P

    Haha, I know!! I feel soo bad giving away toys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. #1 on Rotten Tomatoes. Laugh out Loud. And I thought the 250 was bad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the only negative review I’ve ever read on this film, everybody else I’ve heard talk about this movie thinks it’s amazing, including myself. I completely disagree that it doesn’t belong on the list. It’s not just an alright movie. It’s a great sequel, arguably better than the first one. I don’t know how you could be disappointed, this is probably one of the best sequels ever made. A crappy review to a fantastic film.

    ReplyDelete