25 July 2010

El Secreto de Sus Ojos (2009)


Trailer

If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future.
So basically: A retired attorney, Benjamín Esposito, writes a novel about one of his old cases. This case in particular has been haunting him for his entire life. A woman was badly beaten and raped before being killed. Benjamín finds that the woman's husband is madly in love with her and he longs for that kind of love with his superior, Irene Hastings, who he fell in love with during the case. So he visits her and rediscovers his love for her.

I want to like this film, but I really can't. For one thing, it took the leads 25 years to finally admit that they are in love with each other - I mean, they both knew it at the time - and it's just boring. There's nothing romantic about it, so I was left angry and disappointed at the end when they finally did get together. The whole plot just didn't interest me, either. The only thing I liked about this film was the at the end - not because it ended! - when Esposito is at Morales' place and follows him into Gomez's cell. That scene, I felt, was really powerful. Other than that, there wasn't anything special or extraordinary about this film.

I'm sorry, but no. There wasn't anything to make this film stand out for me.

Ziggi seal of disapproval!

2 comments:

  1. I feel the same way! I expected to like it, and, as I was watching it, I kept hoping it would get interesting all of a sudden, but I still don't get what's so special about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, phew, glad I'm not the only one.
    Either do I, and I've seen it twice. The first time I was like 'maybe I just missed something?' cause it was alright, but on second viewing I realized that it wasn't that spectacular.

    ReplyDelete