08 August 2010

The Big Lebowski (1998)


Trailer

I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
So basically: Jeffrey Lebowski, aka The Dude, is a lazy man who spends his time bowling in shorts and sandals. His world is invaded when two men, mistaking him for millionaire Jeffrey Lebowski, enter his house and pee on his rug. The Dude goes to see The Big Lebowski just to get his rug back, but when the wife of Mr Lebowski goes missing and a ransom note is delivered, The Dude is the one who must make the exchange.

I did not like this movie when I first saw it. I also had no idea the impact it had on pop culture. After finding out that is was a cult classic, I was eager to rewatch it to find out with the big deal was! This time, I instantly knew why so many people loved this movie. It's funny, quirky, and has a brilliant plot. Even though there are so many characters and so many people trying to get their hands on the million dollars, you don't get lost in it and it's quite easily followed. The sheer ridiculousness of the whole thing is also easily believed thanks to the Coen Brothers' brilliant world they created.

This movie is a cult classic, which generally should not be on the list, but I think this one should be.

Ziggi seal of approval!

No comments:

Post a Comment