14 August 2010

On the Waterfront (1954)


Trailer

You don't understand. I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am.
So basically: Ex-boxer Terry Malloy is now working the docks as a longshoreman and is subjected to the corruption of the union, and the union boss, Johnny Friendly. After Johnny orchestrates the murder of two workers and Malloy witnesses it, he struggles to come out with a testimony. With the help of one of the dead men's sister and Father Barry, Malloy finally fights for justice.

I'm going to write this review ignoring the politics (which people seem to mention a lot in their reviews). If you're curious, it has to do with the McCarthy witch hunts. With that I give you: Marlon Brando is one of my least favourite actors and this is the film that gave me the opinion. I mean, srs, his voice is so annoying to listen to, and what the hell is up with his eyes? (yes, I kno why they did that ...) He's not even eye candy anymore. He's not that bad of an actor, but I think if you're going into a profession where your voice is a major part of the job, it should at least be tolerable. The story is uninteresting and it doesn't present itself in any unique way. The rest of the characters are bland, too.

Overall, I do not see what's so great about this movie and it shouldn't be on the list.

Ziggi seal of disapproval.

No comments:

Post a Comment