08 August 2010

Platoon (1986)


Trailer

Somebody once wrote: "Hell is the impossibility of reason." That's what this place feels like. Hell.

So basically: Chris is a young college student who volunteers to go to Vietnam in 1967. He is sent to into a platoon of lower class citizens, the people who make up the majority of soldiers fighting in Vietnam. Chris soon realizes that coming the war was a big mistake on his part. All the while, two of the Sergeants in his platoon are at odds; Sgt Barnes will do whatever it takes to win the war, while Sgt Elias refuses to let go of his humanity.

I didn't like this movie. It felt too Hollywood. None of the characters felt real, nor did I have a connection to any of them. They just seem to fill up characters of soldiers.

I don't think this movie deserves to be on the list at all. I honestly don't see why it's so praised. It looks fake the entire time.

Ziggi seal of disapproval.

4 comments:

  1. Ziggi, Ziggi, Ziggi,

    You have no idea. This movie was based on a true story, and Director Oliver Stone was actually present during the action described in the movie.

    One of the cast, Sgt. Red O'Neill, was also there. A month later, Red was on R&R (rest and recuperation leave) in Honolulu. He told me the story in great detail. I went to see Platoon years later. I was stunned to recognize the exact story that Red had told me that night in 1968.

    Red O'Neill is the character's movie name, but the only name I had for my friend was "Red." It doesn't matter, I know that the story is true. If you ever get to ask Oliver Stone about it, I expect that he will confirm my claim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very well said! Are you a veteran?

      Delete
  2. What a joke! This is one of the best war films ever made, up there with Apocalypse Now, Saving Private Ryan, and Full Metal Jacket. It felt too Hollywood? What? I don’t understand how you can say this. None of the characters felt real? I disagree and I don’t get why you couldn’t feel a connection to any of them. Anyways, I think your review is BS, it deserves the praise. A great film from a great director.

    ReplyDelete