15 August 2010

Ladri di Biciclette (1948)


Trailer

Why should I kill myself worrying when I'll end up just as dead?
So basically: Post-war Italy is facing mass unemployment and recession. Antonio Ricci is lucky enough to acquire a job distributing posters around the city, but the job requires a bike. He had recently pawned his bike, but he and his wife pawn of their sheets to purchase a new bike. When on the job, Ricci's bicycle gets stolen. Unable to afford a replacement, he and his son search the city for the thief.

I honestly don't see what's so great about this film. I mean, the message is all meaningful and the like, but why should that make it a good film? I didn't like any of the characters nor the actual plot of the story. The ending was the only part I connected with and I thought it was very powerful, but it doesn't make up for the rest of the film.

If there were any die-hard film watchers reading, I'm sure I'd get an eyeful, but phew that's not happening. This doesn't deserve to be on the list.

Ziggi seal of disapproval!

No comments:

Post a Comment