14 August 2010

Oldboy (2003)


Trailer

Even though I'm no more than a monster - don't I, too, have the right to live?
So basically: Daesu is imprisoned for fifteen years on the eve of his daughter's birthday. He doesn't know why he was imprisoned and vows revenge on whoever has captured him. Before he can escape and seek his revenge, however, he is released. Now in the city of Seoul, and with the help of a young chef, Mido, he tries to solve the mystery and get his revenge.

Some might say it's creepy as fuck; me, I liked it. I saw this movie a couple of years ago and absolutely fell in love with it. I honestly cannot describe the appeal of this movie: it's just masterfully done. The story keeps you curious until the very end - I mean, srs, who would have guessed all that was going on? - and the characters are interesting and unique.

I'm torn with this movie, like with Trainspotting, because I don't think the majority would like this movie. However, after much debate, this movie is stunning and deserves to be on the list - even if the subject matter is somewhat questionable.

Ziggi seal of approval!

4 comments:

  1. As much as I liked this movie, I can't help but look at the glaring problem.

    "Oh look, there you are boyfriend of mine sleeping in the woods and snow, silly boyfriend. How come you don't have a tongue anymore? That's weird."
    "ah ih eu...ah aw naw"
    (That IS weird, I don't know)
    CAUSE HE CAN'T FUCKING REMEMBER! How the hell would you feel waking up with no tongue?

    But they just end the movie. A problem for another day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANK YOU!! I was doubting your skills after Requiem for a dreams review, but i'm glad you liked this one.. its definitely an awesome film

    ReplyDelete
  3. i hated it. stupid and pretentious piece of uselessly sadistic Asian crap.
    the reasons of the aforementioned comment are quite obvious if not searching for intellectualistic reasons to appreciate it

    ReplyDelete