05 August 2010

The Big Sleep (1946)


Trailer

I collect blondes and bottles.
So basically: Philip Marlowe is a Private Investigator hired by General Sternwood to look after his youngest daughter, Carmen, after receiving blackmail on her. Carmen also has an older sister, Vivian, who clashes with Marlowe at first. As Marlowe investigates, he uncovers more and more mysteries.

This movie reminds me of when I was a kid at my grandparents place and there'd be a black and white movie playing on the television. I'd be mesmerized by the language and the way the characters interacted and carried themselves, but I'd have no idea what was going on plot-wise. Well, this movie wasn't just a ten minute fantasy on screen - it was a two-hour long film with absolutely no plot. Sure, it was very aesthetically pleasing, but it wasn't interesting.

It's good for just putting on in the background, but certainly does not deserve to be on the list.

Ziggi seal of disapproval!

1 comment:

  1. This is one of the greatest noir films ever made, you got horrible taste. Terrible review.

    ReplyDelete