09 August 2010

There Will Be Blood (2007)


Trailer

Drainage! Drainage, Eli, you boy. Drained dry. I'm so sorry. Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
So basically: When Daniel Plainsview's silver mine strikes oil, he changes his business to become an oil man. During that time, one of his men dies and Daniel adopts his son as his own. Nine years later, he has money, but is still a minor oil man in New Mexico. After Paul Sunday visits him and tells him of his ranch which has oil, Plainsview travels to Little Boston, California with his son to obtain the rights to dig on the Sunday Ranch. Paul's twin brother, Eli, a local preacher for the Church of the Third Revelation, and Plainsview clash as Plainsview gains more and more power in the town.

Going into this film, I was fully expected to give it a seal of disapproval as my first experience with the movie wasn't all that memorable. About halfway through the picture, I was resolved to change my opinion. Daniel Day-Lewis and Paul Dano (I was sceptical of his performance at first, but changed my mind quickly) both are absolutely brilliant in their roles and make their characters that much more interesting. The score - which seems a little overbearing at times - enhances the film dramatically and adds a very eerie touch to it (I didn't find it annoying, just a little overdone in some areas). However, the beauty of this film cannot compensate for the plot, which wasn't there at all. At first, you're interested, but it quickly disappears as you realize nothing is actually going to happen and the movie falls flat.

I still don't think this movie should be on the list, but I am glad I rewatched it to give it the second chance it deserved.

Ziggi seal of disapproval!

No comments:

Post a Comment