13 August 2010

Hotel Rwanda (2004)


Trailer

I think if people see this footage, they'll say Oh, my God, that's horrible. And then they'll go on eating their dinners.

So basically: The true story of Paul Rusesabagina in Kigali, Rwanda during a national genocide. There are two peoples living in Rwanda, the Tutsi and the Hutu. The Tutsi were chosen by the Belgian colonists to run the country and they are the minority. The Hutu, thus, feel oppressed by the Tutsi and regard them as nothing more than cockroaches. When a civil war and mass genocide breaks out, Paul Rusesabagina, manager at a fancy hotel in Kigali, takes in as many refugees as he can to protect them.

I don't know how well known the genocide in Rwanda is internationally, but here - specifically at my school - it was a huge thing. So it's not surprising that the first time I saw this film was in school. I don't like that it was, because that's not the greatest environment to see a film, especially one as brilliant as this one. It doesn't try to capture every aspect of the conflict nor does it take sides - at least, I think it didn't. The story is ... I honestly cannot find the words, but it's a story that needs to be told. It's about the people affected by conflict, not the conflict itself.

This is definitely a movie worth seeing and deserves its place on the list - not just because of the subject matter, but because it's a well put together film.

Ziggi seal of approval!

No comments:

Post a Comment