10 August 2010

Strangers on a Train (1951)


Trailer

I may be old-fashioned, but I thought murder was against the law.
So basically: Bruno Antony is anxious to commit a murder and it just so happens he wants his father dead. But, he won't do the deed himself for fear of getting caught. One day, while he is on a train, he meets famous tennis player Guy Haines, who is married but engaged to another woman. Bruno delights in his master plan of the perfect murder and tells Guy of the scheme: they switch murders! Bruno will rid Guy of his current wife and Guy will kill Bruno's father. It's flawless! However, Guy thinks it's all talk - and when his wife does end up dead, he refuses to hold up his end of the bargain.

Now see, here's a Hitchcock picture I enjoy. The idea of a perfect murder has been around forever, tho no one seems to get away with it. In this tale, the perfect murder does, indeed, seem like no one would get caught. How could they? Well, if it weren't for Guy not holding up his end, I'm pretty sure the murders would have gone down as planned - but then there'd be no film, eh? It's very strange seeing Farley Granger as Guy, I'm so used to him being Phillip in Rope, but he does do an excellent job as the guy scared to death at the possibility of murder. And Robert Walker! Omg, he plays the part perfectly! He's so creepy. I could have sworn I've seen him in something else, but maybe I'm just remembering him from the last time I saw this picture.

Anyway, it's a thrilling tale of murder and defs deserves to be on the list.

Ziggi seal of approval!

No comments:

Post a Comment