18 August 2010

Sin City (2005)


Trailer

I know it's pretty damn weird to eat people.
So basically: Three stories in corrupt Basin City are told. The first story is about a cop who was following a lead, looking for a little girl, who gets thrown in jail by his criminal partner. The second story is about a brutish man who, after spending a night with a blonde, falls in love. When the girl ends up dead the next morning, he swears to avenge her death. The third story is about a group of prostitutes, who are helped by a third man, after they kill one of the city's cops.

This movie is SO annoying! The guys all sound the same and have the most unnecessary voice-overs ever - they're more of inner monologues, anyway. The stories themselves were interesting, but when they're put all together, I don't think it made a brilliant movie. Bruce Willis and Jessica Alba's story was my favourite, though. And holy crap! That was Mickey Rourke?! When I read the credits, I saw his name and was looking for him the entire film, but couldn't find him. Marv was the likely choice, but he did not look Rourke at all (mind you, I've only seen him in The Wrestler, but I thought I had a pretty good picture of him in my head).

The cinematography is certainly pretty awesome, but the constant inner monologues ruin this film and make it not deserving of the list.

Ziggi seal of disapproval!

4 comments:

  1. Yes, it deserves it.I dont agree with you. The movie is all about intensity of emotions, Different Visual Style,extreme,bold characterization......

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honestly did not get the emotion you're speaking of.
    And I do like the visual style, I'm not going to lie.

    I was all set to put it down as approved [from remembering watching it the last time] by I couldn't get over how annoyed I was with the whole thing the second time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well sometimes bringing things from graphic novel to the screen is not as easy as one two three. The inner monologues keep interest through the novel but seem a little dry in the movie.

    I liked it, but I wouldn't say it's the best movie ever. The characters also bleed into eachother but really it was also a spoof of the 50s gum shoe stories.

    "Life had always been easy until she walked in to my office like a cool drink of water on a hot summer afternoon"

    that sorta shit. Which is cool! I love those they're fun and always breed good drama often interesting plots but the characters are usually pretty cookie cutter...And despite looks? Pretty much the same stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, it's enjoyable, but not the best thing ever. Agreed

    ReplyDelete